Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Read Across America Week/Month

We're on mid-Winter break this week, but before I left on Friday, I set up my Dr. Seuss centers for Read Across America Week.  I am so glad that I laminated and saved the centers I made last year because it only took about 30 minutes to set everything up this year.  (You can read more about where I got these centers on this post.)

Here are some pictures of the centers I choose to use this year:

At table 1, I have a 100s chart hidden picture.  I still had plenty of copies left from last year and I'll I had to do was put the center directions in a frame and add some crayons to complete the center.


At table 2, I have the "Fishy Antonyms" center set up.  There is an easy sheet where students just draw a line to match the antonyms and a challenge sheet where students look up antonyms using a thesaurus.  Again, I just used copies that I had left over from last year, popped the directions in a frame, added some pencils and a thesaurus and the center was complete.


 

At table 3, I have a number word and numeral matching game to go with the book "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish."   I had everything I needed already made from last year so it was super easy just to tape down the pieces to the table and set up the directions.


At table 4, I have some Dr. Seuss word searches in two version...easy and challenge.  Again, left over copies from last year made for a quick set up.


At table 5 I have a fact family center set up...one for addition/subtraction and one for multiplication/division.  No prep work thanks to saving everything from last year.


At table 6 I have a dictionary center set up.


At table 7, I have the Readers' Pledge poster printed out and ready to be signed.  The pledge was written by Debra Angstead of the Missouri NEA.  You can find it HERE.   (Thank you to am anonymous blog reader for letting me know of the original source.)  I added a frame and clipart and printed it with our poster printer.  Unfortunately I cannot share anything with "Seuss" clipart because Seuss Enterprises does not allow it, but I will share the un-Seussified version.  I actually made a couple of different versions to appeal to both  younger and older students.  Just click HERE or on the pictures below to get your copy.

  

I couldn't decorate as much as I did last year because we have a new fire marshal and he will be touring our school soon, so I had to be sure to comply with the fire regulations and not have more than 20% of my walls covered. This is kind of hard to do when the top part of my walls are covered in a carpet like wall paper. Crazy!  Anyway, I can't hang up a lot of decor any more, so I have resigned myself to putting things out of the tables instead.  I even had to take down some of my decorations that I've had up all year. Boo!  I understand the reason behind the  safety rules, but seeing how it's the library, I don't think having a few extra decorations up is going to make it any less dangerous.  Let's face it. It's one big fireball waiting to happen with all the books lining the walls.  I wonder what the fire marshal will say about that.  Anyhoo, I've set up the best I can and I hope the kids will enjoy it.

Do you do anything special for Read Across America?



10 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Nase! I am a new elementary librarian and I have convinced our teachers to do a Read Across America event next Friday. It started off as a fund raiser idea - a kind of read-a-thon so it isset as 2 hour reading time. I have contacted guest readers and now I am looking for ideas for read aloud books for the older 4th and 5th graders. Each reader is supposed to be with 1 group for 10 minutes and then another group for another 10 min. Do you have any suggestions? I am getting very anxious about the length of time (short reading times, but long day)The younger grades will need some "reading activities" too and so I am trying to find things to do. As I said this is the first time doing anything and I would like to have it be positive so we can do something next year. Maybe a little less time in one day...Thank you for your blog. I read it everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Kathryn! I think your ideas sound great. You could even have the older students read to the younger students. You might try searching Pinterest for ideas for the youngers ones. Here is a link to my Dr. Seuss Pinterst board that might have some ideas you could use. Unfortunately most everything that I had pinned last year has been removed from the websites that they were from because of copyright issues with Seuss Enterprises, but their are still some good ideas out there. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathryn!
    I hope you can find my answer to your question. One idea you could use for perhaps next year for your older readers is to set up a Seuss Cafe. I have my older kids run the cafe. Younger grades come in and choose a story off the menu. Depending on which book they choose an older student is ready to read that Seuss title. Older kids had read and practiced their books for a week so they would be able to read fluently and with expression. It was a wonderful activity.

    As for titles that are short.... have you considered reading just a chapter from a book as a "taste" to entice them to check out the title for themselves? My problem with this is that so many want the title I cant keep up with demand.

    Also for those older readers one good author I use is Chris Van Allsburg. His books are awesome for older kids. I pulled a lot of picture books that are good for older kids and put them in one section.... labeled PO picture books for older readers. I used the criteria of Everybody books with a reading level over 4.0.

    Hope this helps.
    Judy Desetti

    PS Mrs N ~Book Bug; I love your blog and am getting tons of ideas. We are off for a snow day and I am finding a lot of cool blog and sites to use later. Thanks for all your hard work. I have added lots of things to my TPT wish list.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Judy! Glad to have you as a follower. =)

      Delete
  3. Thank you! I will use your suggestions and see what happens!! I have been thinking about the "taste" but was hesitant for the very reason you give. I have some beautiful Chris Van Allsburg books and I'll pull those for sure! The older kids always want to help, so I think the cafe will be wonderful too. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You asked for information about who wrote the Reader's Oath so you could give credit. It was written by Debra Angstead of the Missouri National Education Association.http://www.nea.org/grants/readers-oath.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will update the post to give her credit. =)

      Delete
  5. What did you have your students do at the dictionary center? I was trying to see how your papers were designed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They looked up "Seuss" words in the dictionary and wrote the definition. Then they numbered the words to put them in alphabetical order.

      Delete